Sunday, January 13, 2008

Compulsory Class: Jan 12 (Sat) 5.30-7.30pm

The motoring school forced everyone who failed the exam to sit another 2-hours of "improvement course". Basically there are instructors watching the 6 of us riding and giving comments while doing rounds of mock exams.

Nothing too much of a problem I thought, apart from once another girl crashing into my bike while we are both turning into the same lane (my shin hit on the leg-guard). Clearly not my fault, so I think I'm fine.

The instructor did make helpful suggestions.

When your turn is not smooth and knocking cones off the lane edges:
- Start turning from the far side of the lane so that the turn is not that sharp, i.e. if you make the 180-degree turn to the left, start from the right edge of the lane.

When you switched to the neutral gear before stopping:
- Kick the gear lever a few times, and hard, right before stopping. The action should well be accompanied by pulling the clutch in and also the hand+foot brake. So gear-switching action will be at the last 2-3 meters or so before entering the stop box in the middle of the lane.

When you can't stop fast at Emergency Stopping test:
- Apply more hand brake, but in a smooth, delicate way. Pulling too hard will make the bike jump.

Those who are not taking the mock exam are free to play around in the bike area. I had a few tries at the 8-lane. The first few times I missed the turns a lot, but the more I practice, the smoother I get, and eventually I can do full 8s. Brilliant.

OK let's see how I do on Thurs.

3 comments:

Perry said...

So, will you be shopping for that Harley soon? ;-)

Mingshi said...

Well I'm "looking" now, but I can only buy after getting a P-plate (after road exam).

Harley's official dealer is actually the closest bike shop from where I live. Sometimes when I jog I passed by it and take a good peek there ;)

Perry said...

You have to be able to kick-start it as a precondition to ownership. Watch out for the kickback!