Sunday, September 07, 2008

Advance Lesson 1: Sep 6 (Sat) 930-1130am

After 2 months of nothing but paddling bicycle... I went back to school and took up the first "Advance" class I signed up the day I graduated. (Meaning that if I were any good, I'd be riding on my own!)

This is the bike I picked. Honda CBR 150R. Same colour too!



It's a sports bike! So now I ride hiding behind the fairing and leaning forward as if I'm on a horse. Takes up more than a few minutes to warm up... I need to get used to the gears and footbrake being 2 inches back than it used to be on the learner's Yamaha YBR 125 bike. Also the cockpit stays in line with the bike when I turn - unlike previously were the meters move with the front fork.

My balance is changed with a hunching back and higher arse position (!), and turning is tricky. I fell off twice within the school area. Kinda horrible considering I've passed the exam already...!

The instructor got on his bike and we're out. This is the first time ever I ride on a P plate. Feels good without the threat of failure landing my right foot!

We circle around the neighbourhood for a little bit, going up and down a small incline, before moving on to the highway. It's a very nice day to ride, with the sun not too harsh and a bit of clouds.

Where we ride:-


We start from North Shatin near where I live, up NE following the 6-lane highway to Saddle Hill (Ma On Shan), then head a bit SE on a 2-lane motorway to Sai Kung, a bay area with small islands for water activities. We finish at Pak Tam Chung, the 1st section of the MacLehose's Trail in the countryside of town. We then head all the way back.

It is initially very worrying since there's virtually no traffic lights from Shatin to Saddle Hill, meaning that whatever comes up in the middle of the ride, my first ride over 40kmh on a 150cc bike, I'm the only one who can save myself...! Besides, on the other week there was a 27-year-old and 10-day P-plater the other motorway, who got "sandwiched" by two trucks in front and on the back of him, and obviously killed in the accident. In my head, big vehicles near me are very scary. (where the hell is my gut?)

The rpm is also quite a concern... Since the engine is loud and so as the wind, I am not sure whether I'm of the right gear. Ended up having pushed to, atmost, 60kmph at about 4500rpm on the top gear... Which is turtle speed on a motorway that allows 80kmph with a full license (for P plates it's 70kmph max. anywhere). I feel safe at that speed, but it's all relative - looking at all the large vehicles all passing me. At the 2-lane section, the instructor even pulled out twice at bus stops, to ease off the long queue from behind. Jesus!

We had a short break arriving at Pak Tam Chung and I express my concern. Yeah, I'm slow, and I shouldn't too worry about the rpm. The engine is supposed to be loud anyway!

So on the way back I try to keep up more holding on to the throttle. Soon I reach 70 kmph. Good job! Now that I know my way, I am a lot more relaxed doing round corners or up and down inclines.

Back at the 3-lane road near Saddle Hill where there is this rather long incline, it suddenly rains. Guess we were all thinking "let's speed up more and get back quick" - and we really did - all the way to 80kmph...! That lasted for about 20 seconds, then the rain stops punching like needles on my arms where my tshirt is not covering. We headed downhill and my instructor in front suddenly brakes quick and hard, and so do I. Dodgy police bikes with radar speed detectors were hiding at the bottom!! What an experience on my first ride. Funny that there is an off-road bike and a Ducati slowing on the other lane next to us. Really this is a popular route for saturday bikers, and of course speeding riders!

We get back right on time! Not so much hiccups and sweat afterall. My left wrist hurts more after pulling in the clutch in that position for 2 hours straight. But I'm still rather excited about the whole thing. Brings back my confidence over fear, and I do really really really like riding!

No comments: