Monday, April 14, 2008

L-plate Lesson 5: Apr 13 (Sun) 9.30-10.30am

Waking up early on a Sun specifically for training figure-8 skill, but the day turned out to be rainy...

The whole time I was on this oversized yellow jacket... Anyway I don't have the choice. This is one of the most inconvenient thing about motorbike, and I just need to rant less and get over it.

Obviously the day, this hour, is not busy. I warmed up a few rounds and progress to the 8 lines on the ground level. Someone was already on the slope - obviously waking up early for the same reason (I am not alone). My figure-8 skills weren't as smooth as last time I tried. I waited for a while, and decided to warm up a bit on the road, using the route with more traffic lights.

Practice makes perfect, and I got much used to slowing down on the foot brake and then accompanied with the hand brake. So I'm getting rid of the brake-jump habit, and avoided landing with the right foot.

I'm still experimenting with gearing up and down, and had once not remembering which gear I was in when I stop at the lights. Then there's the other case of gearing down but forgetting to slow down... Both incidents made funny sound, but how the bike started up without dying was a miracle. In both cases I quickly kicked the gear on the left and it was back to normal. Obviously this is an error that can lead to failing the exam again. I need to sort this out fast.

Back to the school I had my chance on the "other" slope. Basically the enclosed area has 2 slopes, attached at the top, looking like an "L" if seen in the air. Though the "other" slope is the exam slope without an extended flat platform at the top.

I tried my luck there, and to my surprise, I managed 2 loops---!! I think my elbows and wrists were much more relaxed after the round on the street. Even though on the 3rd loop I was falling, I still felt a bit of a success.

Thereafter I went back to queue for the practice slope (instructor came out from the office and told me off the exam slope...). Now I have less problem starting on the slope, which is also encouraging. I ran all the way to the extended platform on the top to give me more room on the lower loop. Doing a few practices, and I can have about 50/50 doing a smooth lower loop up. It really takes time to find out when to stop pressing on the foot brake, twist the handles, and speed uphill. Phew! Got some minor crashes at times, and also engine dying off when I headed uphill, but at least my attempt was worth it!!

2 more self-study lessons left before getting instructed again. Now I feel less worried about the exam - even though it is still very difficult. Just check - road exam for gear-motorbike only has 65% pass rate...

No comments: