Sunday, April 27, 2008

L-plate Lesson 7: Apr 27 (Sun) 9.30-10.30am

Contrary to last week, I was having a better weather for my last self-study lesson. Well, it's still cloudly, but at least not pouring.

I didn't know that the school now runs Sunday classes (No Sunday classes when I started). There were 5-6 of the 2nd-lesson newbies moving around the enclosed bike area. Feels a bit crowded when I joined in. But it's alright after I found out no one else will be taking up the Incline Figure 8 slope. Yay!

My initial rental bike assigned to me - #177, made jumps when I start the engine. I checked with the gear and it was only on first... Also when I press the footbrake it's making this greaseless noise... I complained to the instructors and he gave me a better one. #182 just to note.

Incidentally I was watching this Red Bull Motocross show on TV the night before. Apart from looking at how these nutters fliping in the air, I was quite impress when they did a sharp U-turn at the tunnel (the one before getting out to the arena). Of course they drop one leg down, but the point is, big bikes can still do sharp u-turns on a narrow path. And that's exact what turning on Figure-8 is like...

I still sucked a bit starting the bike on the slope and turning back up. So I did a quick round on the road (a shortened version of the exam route). There were new road works making me switching lanes at unexpected moment at one time, ended up getting a beep from the car behind. Argh.

Also my clutch skill was a bit weak today. Either I grab hold of it for too long when I start moving at the traffic lights, or when I switch gears (up or down). It's getting dangerous seeing that green N light. I really need to focus on what I am doing.

So back to the slope. I tried a few more rounds doing the top part of the 8 on the flat platform and the lower part on the slope. I can go up!! Yes!! Finally I managed to time when I release the footbreak (which is, when the bike passes the centre line). Upon the release, I'll have to throttle up, keeping the horn pointing diagonally to the hill top. Most importantly, I'll look to the opposite when I need to make the turn, and slowly glancing my way to the end of the barriers and to the hill top. This works really well. I did have a few hiccups of off-balance and dropping my left foot, but once I remember to keep my thighs on the bike, I'm moving fine.

Then combining with the top loop - I'm ready! To test myself, I have once making 4 Figure-8s!! (Exam requirement is minimun 3 full loops). Then I ran over a bit on the top... But overall it was a success! Now I know I can also make rather sharp turns too. I am feeling great about my bike skill!

No comments: