Tuesday, April 01, 2008

L-plate Lesson 3: Mar 30 (Sun) 1.30-2.30pm

A bit worried about going on to the road on my own without touching the bike much in the month, I decided to give the exam routes a go.

There are 2 routes - one is longer, and one with more traffic lights. I live in the neighbourhood, and therefore has zero problem memorizing where to go. I didn't even have to read the map again!

After going to the route with more lights... I realized I kept choosing the wrong lane at the lights to turn...! The reason behind this is probably to train people up to turn from further away (i.e. the middle lane, instead of the cornering lane), also to occupy less of the available lanes in the area (L-plates drive at snail speed).

How I found out - I checked my sides at the lights... BTW I FORGOT to check my sides...! Argh. This is definitely exam criteria and I need to intentionally do so.

But then the day went really smooth without ANY clutch-killing-engine problem. Now I know what the instructors said about me releasing the clutch too fast earlier on.

Slight problem will be on the relative speed on different gears... Well I know the way to gear up/down, but when to do so? It seems like I geared down miles away before I reached the lights, for example, and the engine was making big noise at the 1st gear. Guess I need to experiment with the gear-down distance more to find out...

I tried the other longer route as well, and with both routes finished, I still have 10 mins left. Challenged myself to the Figure-8 on the slope again, but had no luck. Same thing, some hiccups when starting from the slope, doing top loop ok, lower loop was either almost crashing into the sides, or the U-turn was too far out to make the way back.

The next lesson (all self-study at the mo) will probably be all about Figure-8 again. I really like the road bit, but figure-8 is really giving me the headache.

No comments: